Alashia L. Chan
Alashia L. Chan
New Jersey Business Litigation Lawyer
Alashia is Of Counsel to the firm and offers a broad range of experience in legal counseling, litigation, project management and alternate dispute resolution. She has represented corporate and individual clients in commercial and other complex matters in state and federal courts, including contract disputes, mass tort and toxic tort litigation, class actions, intellectual property claims, and insurance coverage litigation.
As an experienced litigator in diverse practice areas, Ms. Chan has developed the perspective and skill to identify and manage risks associated with various commercial transactions. She has also served as a project manager on both small and large scale matters, and has extensive experience developing case assessments, strategies and budgets, leading case teams, managing crises and press statements, and implementing cost containment measures to curtail litigation expenses. Those measures include oversight of e-discovery projects and outsourcing.
Ms. Chan is also experienced in dispute resolution and currently serves as a Board Member with the New Jersey State Board of Mediation.
Prior to private practice, Ms. Chan served as a law clerk to the Honorable Donald J. Volkert, Jr., of the New Jersey Superior Court (1994-1995).
- Successful defense of international bank, a prominent premises owner, in a federal mass-tort litigation arising out of cleanup and restoration efforts in the aftermath of the September 11th terrorist attacks.
- Successful prosecution of insurance coverage claim on behalf of international bank and premises owner for property damages resulting from the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
- Successful defense of public utility in a mass tort matter involving hundreds of personal injury claims arising from alleged exposure at a former manufactured gas plant.
- Successful prosecution of Lanham Act and breach of contract claims on behalf of hotel franchisor.
- Successful representation of patent holder in patent infringement and anti-trust action.
- Successful representation of employer in enforcing terms of non-solicitation agreement.
- Representation of government agency in pay-to-play investigations.
- Selected Arbitrator on various labor disputes including wage and unjust termination claims.
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Asian Pacific American Lawyers Association of New Jersey
- Programming Committee Member for NAPABA 2011 Regional Conference, including development of panels and facilitation/supervision of CLE credits for programming segments
- Board Member, New Jersey State Board of Mediation
Recent Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Speaker, “An Overview of the Law Pertaining to Recovery of Damages,” Assessing Damages in Commercial Cases, NJICLE Seminar, November 29, 2012 and October 2, 2014
- Co-author, “10 Tips for Outsourcing Document Reviews to Off-Shore Vendors,” ABA Newsletter, Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Division, Spring 2011
- Co-author, “SEC Division Offers Guidance on Disclosure of Cybersecurity Incidents and Ongoing Risks,” Day Pitney Alert, October 21, 2011
- Co-author, “Litigation After A Data Breach: The Heartland Experience,” Day Pitney Alert, January 20, 2010
- New Jersey, 1994
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey, 2005
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1994 (Centennial Scholarship)
- Rutgers College, B.A., English/Political Science, 1988